Good Food sources for protein

Protein being one of the most important food class is highly necessary for the human body growth and development.

The human body uses protein to build and repair tissues. Also, protein is necessary for the making of enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood

THE FOLLOWING ARE SOME OF THE GOOD SOURCES OF PROTEIN.

  1.  MILK

Milk is a rich nutrient, white liquid food produced by cows. It is one of the primary source of nutrition for children before they are able to digest other types of food.

In cow’s milk, approximately 82% of milk protein is casein and the remaining 18% is serum, or whey protein. The casein family of protein consists of several types of caseins (α-s1, α-s2, ß, and 6) and each has its own amino acid composition, genetic variations, and functional properties.

  •  MEAT

Meat is animal flesh that is eaten as food. Humans have hunted and killed animals for meat since prehistoric times. The advent of civilization allowed the domestication of animals such as chickens, goats, pigs and cattle etc.

Meat is a very efficient proteinous food because the muscles of animals and humans share the same components, eating animal tissue is an easy way to get this necessary nutrient. 

Proteins are made up of amino acids. Amino acids determine the structure and function of proteins.

  •  FISH

Fish is a high-protein low-fatted food that provides a range of health benefits. White-fleshed fish, in particular, is lower in fat than any other source of animal protein, and oily fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, or the “good” fats.

Just one ounce (28 grams) of dried fish can provide 18 grams of proteinProtein content in 100 grams: 63 grams (93% of calories). Bottom Line: Dried fish is extremely high in protein, up to 93% of calories. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids and large amounts of some vitamins and minerals.

Fish contains high levels of nutrients and protein, particularly oily fish, such as salmon and tuna. Fish often has less cholesterol and saturated fat than meat, and it is a staple of the healthful Mediterranean diet. Fish also provides vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, zinc, and iron.

  •  EGGS

Eggs are considered a complete protein because they contain all nine essential amino acids or all the building blocks of protein. One large egg contains 6.3 grams of protein. The protein is almost equally split between the egg white and the egg yolk.

Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the white egg along with vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat than the yolk.

However, there are many types of edible bird eggs with varying nutrition and taste.

  • Chicken Eggs. Chicken eggs are the most common type of egg that we eat. …
  • Duck Eggs. Duck eggs are very similar to chicken eggs, with a slightly larger yolk. …
  • Turkey Eggs. …
  • Goose Eggs. …
  • Quail Eggs. …
  • Pheasant Eggs. …
  • Emu Eggs.
  •  OATS

Oats are a good source of quality protein at 11–17% of dry weight, which is higher than most other grains. The major protein in oats — at 80% of the total content — is avenalin, which isn’t found in any other grain but is similar to legume proteins. The minor protein avenin is related to wheat gluten.

Oats are the only cereal containing a globulin or legume-like protein, avenalin, as the major (80%) storage protein. Globulins are characterised by solubility in dilute saline as opposed to the more typical cereal proteins, such as gluten and zein, the prolamines (prolamins). The minor protein of oat is a prolamine, avenin.

Oat protein is nearly equivalent in quality to soy protein, which World Health Organization research has shown to be equal to meat, milk and egg protein. The protein content of the hull-less oat kernel (groat) ranges from 12 to 24%, the highest among cereals.

  •  SOY

The soybean or soya bean is a species of legume native to East Asia, widely grown for its edible bean, which has numerous uses. Traditional unfermented food uses of soybeans include soymilk, from which tofu and tofu skin are made. Fermented soy foods include soy sauce, fermented bean paste, nattō, and tempeh.

Soybeans are high in protein and a decent source of both carbs and fat. They are a rich source of various vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds, such as isoflavones. For this reason, regular soybean intake may alleviate the symptoms of menopause and reduce your risk of prostate and breast cancer.